Ok, so I know I’ve been a little quiet around these parts lately….but I promise I have a good excuse!
For those who haven’t heard via social media, We are expecting another little bundle of joy due in September this year, and life has been a bit of a blur since we found out! Luckily, I’ve not experienced the same level or nausea and sickness that I suffered the first time around, but it’s been a whole different ball game trying to grow a new human at the same time as keeping the toddler alive, so life hasn’t been without its challenges!
Despite all that’s been going on, Little Miss Toddler has been living the hight life lately: With a recent overseas holiday to Hawaii, followed closely by some over-indulgent Easter celebrations and school holiday fun with her cousins, it seems her poor little immune system has taken a beating and she’s ended up with a cold.
Like any Mama, I hate to see my little girl unwell so after a long sleepless night full of sniffles and vaporisers, I headed straight to the supermarket this morning to get the ingredients for our family’s favourite Chicken Soup. It’s a winning dinner in our household and it’s also the perfect healthy remedy for those nasty colds and flu that start to rear their head at this time of year.
I’ve since had lots of people ask me for the recipe, so I thought I’d share it here in case like me, you’ve got a house full or sick people and need your health (and your sanity) restored!
- 1 Litre Chicken Stock
- 1 Litre Vegetable Stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 x potato chopped into cubes
- 1 x 400g packet of pre-cut Vege’s (or 400g freshly cut Vege’s)
- 1 x family size cooked BBQ Chicken
- 100g Vermicelli noodles
- Throw your veggie mix into the slow cooker, and add the onion, garlic and potato. Pour the chicken and vegetable stock over the top.
- Using a fork, pull the flesh off the BBQ chicken in largish chunks and throw it into the slow cooker with all the of the veggies. If necessary, top the pot up with water to ensure that the liquid is covering all of the chicken and veggies.
- Turn your slow cooker onto ‘Low’ to cook your soup slowly for 6 hours or alternatively you can cook it on the ‘High’ setting for 3 hours if you can’t wait that long!
- 15 mins before your soup is ready, throw in the vermicelli noodles to soften. Your soup is ready to eat once all the veggies are cooked through, your noodles are soft and your chicken is falling apart beautifully!
It’s that easy! I recommend serving this soup with some delicious crusty bread, and for the little ones, simply drain out some of the liquid so that they can eat the soup chunks with a fork instead of a spoon (it’s a lot less messy that way)!
Variation: If you’re feeling ambitious, you can also substitute the cooked BBQ chook with a whole (uncooked) chicken. For this method, after washing and patting dry the chicken, simply place the entire bird into the pot and then add the other ingredients. Once cooked, simply remove the entire chicken from the pot (careful as they tend to fall apart and you don’t want bones in your soup). Shred the meat off the carcass with a fork and hen return the flesh to the pot. Add the noodles, stir until they soften, and serve!