I whipped this yummy salad for lunch today, and it’s not only delicious, but super-duper easy! I literally can make it with one hand (Violet insisted I hold her while I made it so she could supervise/snack as I went).
Whilst I originally made this salad for me, its also perfect for the mini-people (I just remove the rocket for Violet as she’s still only got 2 fully grown teeth). She LOVED it!
The portions I’ve used below is what I made for the two of us, but you can easily increase the quantities to suit a family or large group.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this colourful plate of heaven happen!
- A couple of handfuls of rocket leaves (washed)
- A cucumber (a whole lebanese or half a continental)
- A handful of tomato (I used baby Roma tomatoes)
- A whole avocado
- 5 or 6 button mushrooms (washed, skin on).
- 25 – 50 grams of butter (or olive oil if you prefer)
- Salt & pepper to season
- Chop up your mushroom, cucumber, tomato and avocado into even, bite-sized pieces.
- Melt the butter in a hot frying pan. Once melted, throw in the mushrooms* and stir until they’re fully coated in the butter.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked through remove them (and the avocado) from the heat and set aside.
- Pile your rocket, tomato and cucumber onto the plate. Pour on the cooked mushrooms, avocado and whatever juices are left in the pan on top of your salad.
- Add a little salt and pepper to taste (optional) and serve!
*Note: Once the mushrooms are partially cooked, I like to throw the avocado into the pan too. It adds a nice golden colour and they pick up the taste of the mushies too.
It’s as easy as that!
I love this salad as-is, but you could also try adding some toasted pine nuts too if you’re feeling adventurous, or perhaps grill some chicken and throw that on top…the possibilities are endless!
Let me know if you have a go at this salad, and whether or not it’s a hit at your house too!
Do you have a go-to recipe that’s quick and easy? I’d love to hear about it! Feel free to share it in the comments section below!